Monday, March 11, 2013

Spring is on its way....


At the end of February I wanted to work in my sketchbook, but I was at a loss for what I wanted to do. I didn't want to take on 'too much' so I had an idea. At the time there were 4 more days in the month, so I drew 4 small squares on the same page and made a deal with myself that I only had to fill one square each day. That way I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed either at coming up with ideas or doing all the work to fill a whole page each day. Just one little square...  This is what I came up with for the week...

Was it one of my best pages? No, but it did let me 'dip my toes in the water again' and I had fun. That's what its all about anyway... Happy sketching!!
P.S. Get out and enjoy the arrival of Spring!
.

10 comments:

Cheryl Gebhart said...

What a great idea for a quick journal page. Your little sketches are delightful.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Claire, this is absolutely delightful!

Timaree said...

Super page! Really and it's a good idea to do one a day. Where you live must be like where I am living now as the area is green, I see yellow flowers, the neighbor's poppies are blooming and my peach tree is blooming too. I could have painted them as you did but didn't think of it. Do we ALL need a kick in the pants after this winter, lol?

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Great idea, and your squares are very nice. Isn't it funny how we have to coax and cajole ourselves into sketching?

LADY BEVERLY said...

You know this is a great idea - I have trouble getting started in my sketchbook (which I won't let anyone see - it is my worst work) - when I look at a blank page - my mind goes blank also.

I'm going to try your idea of the little boxes - they are really cute also.

Bev

Mermaid's Palette said...

Claire- I love your approach to Spring! I agree that the small squares were a great way to set goals. Happy Spring!

Terry said...

Very nice! I'm going to start with boxes too. It's less intimidating than an entire page.

Unknown said...

Hi Claire,
I like the box idea. You kept a record that will recall to you what you felt on those last days of Feb. I think that is what keeping a watercolor journal is all about.
I love your lettering on the page, that is lovely artwork too.

Unknown said...

I like the one square inch per day idea! It looks so pretty and it tells a story! What if you did that for a month, or a year! It would really be a special piece of artwork! Hmmm.... now I'm getting an idea!

Lisa Holtzman said...

I love this Claire, really charming and a great idea to keep from being overwhelmed!