Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day Reflections

Thoughts of my Dad surrounded me all day yesterday on Father's Day. It made me want to sketch and paint some sort of memory of Dad, but I didn't know quite where to start - or what to use as an image. I mentioned what I wanted to do to Mom and she was eager to help me. Mom found a small box with mementos that Dad kept in his nightstand. I chose a couple simple objects to include in my sketch. I really enjoyed sketching Dad's keepsakes, and thinking about when and where he must have got them. Sketching this page was a memorable way to spend part of the special day.

One of the special 'finds' that I came across while looking through Dad's keepsakes, was
a handmade Father's Day card that I made for Dad many, many years ago - one of those humble homemade cards that only a parent could love. But, the homemade card held a new significance to me now as I am trying to put more focus creating art. The thought of my Dad keeping this card for many years, certainly brought a smile to my face, and it felt like Dad was encouraging me to pursue my art.

Embarrassing as it might be.... I share the cover and last page of the card with you here now. The card included other pages, but I'm just posting images of the first and last pages, along with all the text from the card (complete with original misspellings and capitalization!!):













MY FATHER

He Hammers on nails
Fixes sails
Waves Hi
And says good by

He eats his dinner

And never gets thinner

He trains the cat

And is the same
He Kisses my Mother

And my brother

And Best of all

He is my Father.
Happy Father's Day!!



Remember we all started somewhere.....


Every child is an artist. The problem now is how to
remain an artist once we grow up.
Picasso

3 comments:

Mary Paquet said...

Claire, what a beautiful tribute. I love that your mom still had your handdrawn cards to your dad.

I knew when we talked that you must include railroads. Bob remembered your father from some railroad connection. He, too, is such a railroad buff, so I think he knows all the other buffs in the area! Someday we'll have to talk of mutual railroad experiences compliments of our loved ones.

Thanks for visiting my blog -- off to the gym and the figure workshop

bubblemunch said...

:-)

Lovely, moving blog entry.

K said...

Claire, this is so touching, both your tribute to him and nostalgia in keeping those precious cards of yours. You probably got to see him in a totally different light.