Friday, July 3, 2009

California Poppies

The California Poppy is our state flower. The poppies are very delicate - almost tissue paper like, and they bloom a single flower to a stem. California Poppies vary in color from yellow to a vibrant orange. When I first noticed them blooming this spring, they felt like smiling faces greeting me on my way to work. Quite a cheery site! I looked up some information when I painted this page, and I was surprised to learn that April 6 is designated as California Poppy Day -- that is the day before my wedding anniversary. Interesting!

4 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

And your sketch is very cheery as well! We don't have poppies here that I know of, but I've always loved those flowers and would love to see them for myself.

It was July when I was in California and they were long gone! Happy 4th!

Krista Meister said...

Beautiful poppies, Claire!

bubblemunch said...

They're lovely. You've captured them beautifully. Sometimes we even get them popping up over here (but I guess they're not true Californian ones!

Lin said...

GOSH! I missed Poppy Day! DRATS! These are glorious, Claire!