Tuesday, November 3, 2009

7, Place Bastille, 75004, Paris, France ...



<<< from my adventures in Laure Ferlita's An Imaginary Trip to Paris class >>>

Walking through the streets of Paris - I went in search of my traveling companions. We agreed to meet at Les Phares for coffee, but as luck would have it I got lost on the way. Navigating through a foreign city by yourself is a unique experience!! I went looking for 7 Place Bastille, but I got lost while walking around Place de la Bastille. I guess I got distracted by all of the things to look at, as well as all of the new sounds (French!!). There were several interesting buildings including this one (left page) on a corner. I was disappointed when I realized that it wasn't the 'right' cafe as it didn't have the novel red awning. However, I decided to capture this one anyway with a quick sketch to show by travel buddies what I had found.

To complete the story... when I finally found Cafe de Phares I quickly did a sketch of it as well (right page). My traveling buddies kidded me about getting lost, and then we enjoyed our time chatting with our coffee.

8 comments:

Lin said...

Claire -- THANK YOU SO very much for your incredibly generous and heart-warming words. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your kindness. I LOVE your journal pages here --- wish we could really be in Paris!

HUGS to you!

Claire M said...

Oops... I neglected to leave my small note to indicate that this is part of an 'imaginary trip' -- I'm taking a fantastic class with Laure Ferlita.

Anonymous said...

I have vicariously enjoyed your journey so far. How does this imaginary trip work? Are you given a destination or a scenario and you sketch from images you find? are the sketches the result of a collaborative powwow so to speak or are you on your own?

lori vliegen said...

fabulous, claire!! you have captured the essence of paris beautifully!! it truly reads like you're really there!! i think i'm enjoying your "trip" as much as you are (and i'd be happy to share my croissant with you!) :))

Pat said...

WOW, so cool. I love this post.

Claire M said...

Laure's Imaginary Trip to Paris class is wonderful! I really can't say enough about it. I've never been to Paris before so this is a bit of an education for me - beyond sketching and painting. It is fascinating. Laure posts assignments for us. Most of these have a pdf file describing the assignment and they may have one or more reference photos that you can work from. Sometimes she gives us an address and we get to go find the place (like this assignment) using GoogleMaps. It really is quite fun. I've also had fun interacting with the other students. We have a private blog for the class so we can offer feedback to one another without thinking that the world is watching us. Laure provides priceless feedback as well. So... parts of it are like a class (interactions with a teacher and other students) but it also offers the freedom of tackling the lessons on your own schedule. Also, many of the lessons have an associated demo by Laure and the demos are fabulous. It is so helpful to see a piece from scratch to the finished image. Its just a wonderful adventure!

Additionally.... it is a huge motivator for me to use my art tools/toys on a more frequent basis and that is good for me all around!!

Krista Meister said...

Claire, how did I miss this post? It looks beautiful, a perfect complement to your blog...

Mary Paquet said...

Claire, what a great trip all of you are having -- such a unique idea! I love your sketches and your descriptions of your experiences. Such a reasonably priced trip that gives so much pleasure, not only to you, but to your faithful readers.