Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lemons, lemons, and more lemons...


Lemons .... last weekend I took a pencil drawing class with Kristen Doty. Since I had a bounty of lemons on my tree at home I decided to take in some fresh Meyer lemons to sketch. This is my drawing from class, that I did in using woodless colored pencils. I enjoyed using the 'side' of the pencil for this sketch. Kristen suggested using the same tool for artwork and lettering in a piece, so I lettered the text with a woodless pencil using a pressure technique. The experience was an interesting change from watercolor.

I love thinking about lemons... a familiar quote comes to mind "when life gives you lemons... make lemonade". Friday night I found another variation in the latest Womans Day magazine on the Table of Contents page, "When life hands you lemons, make a gorgeous dessert" with a reference to a recipe for a lemon tart with fresh strawberries. I offer yet another suggestion... "When life hands you lemons ... grill chicken". A family favorite lemon recipe is "
Lager and Lemon-Grilled Chicken" using a bottle of beer. Whatever your pleasure ... this is the season to enjoy lemons!

No comments: